Deborah Medenbach, Press Director, Woodstock Film Festival,
(845) 679-4265, firstname.lastname@example.org, woodstockfilmfestival.com
FILMING IN THE HUDSON VALLEY
WOODSTOCK (Feb. 13, 2017) -- The Hudson Valley Film Commission creates sustainable economic development by working tirelessly to advance local job opportunities, general prosperity and long-term economic vitality by soliciting, supporting and working with Film, TV and media productions in the Mid-Hudson Valley Catskills. As production crews come to the region, they require the broad support that The Hudson Valley Film Commission has provided for 17 years; from soundstage referrals, to location help, casting calls, crew referrals, and local vendor support.
As of January 23, 2017, The Hudson Valley Film Commission is already working with 24 production companies and industry representatives on a variety of projects including 17 feature films and 3 TV shows. Current productions feature 4 Academy-Award winners and major A-list industry players.
The Hudson Valley has been a hotspot for filmmakers recently, and this has a lot to do with the fact that there are very capable staff and crew along with great cast and locations. Historically, the area has always been a place where artists, whether they are painters, writers, musicians or in the film industry, congregate to escape the fast pace of everyday life and solely focus on their passions. The Hudson Valley exemplifies a culture and community where the arts and creativity are fully embraced and nurtured.
Recent Films Produced in the hudson valley
Many feature films were produced in the region, and the Hudson Valley Film Commission is very proud to announce that 10% of Filmmaker Magazine's top 50 most anticipated films for 2017 are films that were produced in the Mid-Hudson Valley Catskill Region with support from the Hudson Valley Film Commission.
Films that have been released or will be in the upcoming months include (in alphabetic order):
- GROWING UP SMITH, directed by Frank Lotito, starring Jason Lee, Anjul Nigam, Brighton Sharbino, Roni Akurati, Hilarie Burton, Poorna Jagannathan & Shoba Narayan
- Released: February 3rd, 2017
- The film won the Audience Award for Best Narrative at the 2015 Woodstock Film Festival (then titled GOOD OL' BOY). Taking place in a southern town this film depicts how well the Hudson Valley can work for diverse locations.
- “Filmed in May and June of 2014, the production was made entirely in the Hudson Valley Catskill region, primarily in Kingston, NY. The production features many local landmarks that have been pleasantly transformed to fit its classic 1970’s U.S. aesthetic. Parts of India were even filmed in the region. 'We had an amazing time shooting in the Hudson Valley,' commented writer, producer and co-star Anjul Nigam. 'The Hudson Valley Film Commission were supportive from the moment we made contact with them. They provided invaluable referrals and connections from housing to vendors to crew to locations and to amazingly talented locally based actors! And the Hudson Valley community at large was incredibly embracing of our production; we felt welcome through the entire time we were there. We look forward to making more films in Hudson Valley.'”
- About: "In 1979, an Indian family moves to America with hopes of living the American Dream. While their 10-year-old boy Smith falls head-over-heels for the girl next door, his desire to become a "good old boy" propels him further away from his family's ideals than ever before."
- IT COMES AT NIGHT, directed by Trey Edward Shults, starring Joel Edgerton & Riley Keough (Elvis Presley)
- Release date: August 25th, 2017
- Director Trey Edward Shults screened his short film KRISHA at the 2014 Woodstock Film Festival. Additionally, Co-producer Corey Deckler produced CLUB POLICY, which screened in the "Jests" program at the 2016 Woodstock Film Festival.
- This film ranked the 21st of the top 50 most anticipated films for 2017 in Filmmaker Magazine.
- About: "Secure within a desolate home as an unnatural threat terrorizes the world, a man has established a tenuous domestic order with his wife and son, but this will soon be put to test when a desperate young family arrives seeking refuge."
- LITTLE BOXES, directed by Rob Meyer, starring Melanie Lynskey, Nelsan Ellis & Armani Jackson
- Released: April 15th, 2016
- The comedy/drama was filmed in Newburgh, NY.
- About: "An interracial family struggles to adjust when they move from New York City to a small, predominantly white town in Washington State."
- STRAY BULLETS, directed by 16-year-old Jack Fessenden (son of Larry Fessenden)
- Released: February 10th, 2017
- This crime drama was produced in the Hudson Valley (specifically Woodstock and Stone Ridge). The North American premiere for STRAY BULLETS was at the 17th Annual Woodstock Film Festival.
- About: "In upstate New York, two teenage boys are tasked with cleaning out their father’s old mobile home on an abandoned property, but the boys are in for a surprise when they discover three crooks on the run have taken refuge in the trailer."
- THE TICKET, directed by Ido Fluk, starring Dan Stevens, Malin Åkerman, Oliver Platt & Kerry Bishé
- Released: April 17th, 2016
- THE TICKET was filmed in Accord and Kingston.
- About: "When a blind man inexplicably regains his vision, he becomes possessed by a drive for a better life — a nicer home, a higher paying job — leaving little room for the people who were part of his old life."
- LOVE AFTER LOVE, directed by Russell Harbaugh, starring Andie MacDowell & Chris O'Dowd
- Currently in post-production
- The film was shot in Kingston, NY and nearby locations including New York City.
- This film ranked 30th of the top 50 most anticipated films for 2017 in Filmmaker Magazine.
- About: "A glimpse into one family’s romantic, boisterous, messy, treacherous life, Love After Love catalogues the reunions and departures of a mother and her two grown sons over the course of several years."
- THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST, directed by Desiree Akhavan, starring Chloë Grace Moretz, Jennifer Ehle & Sasha Lane
- Currently in post-production, will be released in 2017
- This film ranked 31st of the top 50 most anticipated films for 2017 in Filmmaker Magazine.
- About: "A young girl is forced into a gay conversion therapy center."
- THE STRANGE ONES, directed by Lauren Wolkstein and Chris Radcliffe, starring James Freedson-Jackson, Owen Campbell & Alex Pettyfer
- World Premiere: SXSW 2017 (March 10-19) as a Narrative Feature
- This film ranked 13th of the top 50 most anticipated films for 2017 in Filmmaker Magazine.
- About: "Mysterious events surround two brothers as they travel across a remote American landscape. What appears to be a simple vacation soon gives way to a more complicated and darker truth."
- SUPER DARK TIMES, directed by Kevin Phillips, starring Owen Campbell, Charlie Tahan & Elizabeth Cappuccino
- World Premiere: International Film Festival Rotterdam (IFFR) 2017 (January 25th - February 5th)
- This film ranked 44th of the top 50 most anticipated films for 2017 in Filmmaker Magazine.
- About: "A horrible accident causes a tectonic shift between high school best friends Zach and Josh, spiraling them in different directions. Set in 1990’s suburbia, Super Dark Times is a thriller that explores the twilight zone between adolescence and adulthood, lust and love, bravery and fear, good and evil."
- YOUTH IN OREGON, directed by Joel David Moore, starring Nicola Peltz, Christina Applegate & Billy Crudup
- Released: February 3rd, 2017
- About: "A man is tasked with driving his embittered 80-year-old father-in-law cross country to be legally euthanized in Oregon, while along the way helping him rediscover a reason for living."
Films currently Being Produced in the hudson valley
We’re also thrilled about upcoming theatrical releases featuring local films:
- DEPARTURES / ARRIVALS, directed by Peter Hutchings, starring Nina Dobrev, Asa Butterfield, Tyler Hoechlin and Maisie Williams
- This drama will be filmed in the Hudson Valley and is currently in the pre-production stage.
- About: "A hypochondriac working as an airport baggage handler is forced to confront his fears when a British teenager with a terminal illness enlists him to help her carry out her eccentric bucket list."
- FURLOUGH, directed by Laurie Collyer, writer Barry Strugatz, starring Hudson Valley's own Melissa Leo
- About: "When an inmate is granted one weekend out of prison to see her dying mother, a rookie correction officer struggles to keep her under control."
- A VIGILANTE, directed by directed by Sarah Daggar Nickson, produced by Randall Emmett and George Furla of Emmett/Furla/Oasis, starring Olivia Wilde
- Begins filming in February 2017
- About: "Wilde plays The Woman, a secretive figure who rids victims of their domestic abusers."
It is abundantly clear that the Hudson Valley is a place where the film industry can flourish. With over 100 years of creativity in its history, this is a place where creativity grows in a inspiring environment, and The Hudson Valley Film Commission is the ideal mediator to help this artistic culture thrive.
The stakes are huge. Recent news that the Empire State Film Production Tax Credit has been extended through 2022 further increases opportunities for mid-Hudson Valley Catskill counties by stabilizing a vital incentive program that film-related businesses and investors can count on.
We welcome your coverage of these films and are happy to provide photos and arrange interviews as needed. For screening times, locations and tickets, go to www.woodstockfilmfestival.com.
For press credentials for working media, go to the Woodstock Film Festival Media Accreditation Form.
Hailed as "A True American Maverick Among Fests" and named among the top 50 film festivals worldwide, the Woodstock Film Festival premieres exceptional films, hosts the most talented emerging and established professionals in the movie industry; presents A-list concerts, panels and parties, and creates stimulating, innovative programming year-round. The Woodstock Film Festival is a non-profit, 501c3 with a mission to present an annual program and year-round schedule of film, music and art-related activities that promote artists, culture, inspired learning and diversity. The 17th Woodstock Film Festival returns October 13-16, 2016 with an extraordinary lineup of fiercely independent films, panels and special events in Woodstock, Rhinebeck, Kingston, Rosendale and Saugerties.
Sponsored by: Markertek, 120dbFilms, Gigantic Pictures, Ketel One, Gray Krauss, Stratford, Sandler, DeRochers LLP, Heineken, BMI, SAGIndie, Black Magic Design, Films We Like, Miller Howard Investments, Technicolor and Panavision.